Saturday, September 17, 2005

Goodbyes / for those who have died

I find that I resonate with the prayers for the dying and for the dead that are found in the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. I'm sure it has something to do with my tender spot about grief and goodbyes. I've noticed that my husband, sons, and I always, always, always pay attention to departures, whether it's lots of crazy waving when we drop Daddy off for work every morning, plenty of hugs and kisses at airports, or the bedtime ritual of "doing night-nights" with each person in a particular way.

I've put a few BCP prayers on my Faith at Home page about children and death, but here's a new one to me. Someone posted this in a blog's comments (the blogger's grandfather had died). I found it quite wonderful.

From the 1789 U.S. Book of Common Prayer:
Most merciful Father, who hast been pleased to take unto thyself the soul of this thy servant; Grant to us who are still in our pilgrimage, and who walk as yet by faith, that having served thee with constancy on earth, we may be joined hereafter with thy blessed saints in glory everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
You can explore this and many other editions of the BCP on this Book of Common Prayer page.

No comments: