Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Book Stack Changes

Another library trip, though the haul is minor for me. I borrowed a book on making baskets (a quick read; I'll drop it off tomorrow) and the long-requested pioneer cookbook for kids, Skillet Bread, Sourdough, and Vinegar Pie: Cooking in pioneer days. I requested it when I was reading lots of Oklahoma and pioneer history during my Colonial House period.

Tomorrow Hillary Clinton's Living History will be overdue, so I need to concentrate on finishing that! It's been interesting to read her take. I'm on the list at the library for requesting Bill's My Life when it becomes available. I may have to return George and Laura before I can tackle it, at this rate.

Son1 now has The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A treasury of myths, legends, and fascinating facts (he'd already started reading this before we left the library -- it looks great!), Vote! by Eileen Christelow; The Adventures of Wishbone: The mutt in the iron muzzle; and a kids' biography of Grover Cleveland, whom Son1 had noticed was president twice, thanks to the presidents cards from Grandpa-who-works-at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum.

The best part of the whole trip is the ancient-world stuff. Two short videos from Schlessinger's video series "Ancient Civilizations for Children" Ancient Aegean (Minoans and Mycenaeans) and Ancient Greece. Lonnnng ago we enjoyed those on ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt, and ancient China.

More good ancient-world stuff came home with us. The Children's Atlas of Civilizations for the maps of ancient civs, How Children Lived, a DK book, for leaving around on tables to entice the boybarians, and D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths for Son1 to browse.

Why the ancients? We've reached the midway point of The Story of the World, Vol. 1: Ancient times, and are entering the world of ancient Greece. We read about the Olympics yesterday, and the rise of Persia. Next, as Son1 puts it, "the Greeks go to war!"

No comments: