Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Off to school soon enough

As of yesterday noon, both boys are enrolled, registered, paperwork-all-done for starting school in two weeks (Son1: 3rd grade. Son2: afternoon preK). I've started a mental to-do list for school stuff, such as checking their clothes and see what if anything we need to get. I realized that, for me, this is the beginning of the end of summer. The time when I start to look and plan for what's about to happen, and let go a bit of what is ending. Last week was still full summer; this week I'm antsy to find out which teachers my boys will have, and who their classmates will be.

Many friends are really looking forward to school starting. I know my kids are looking forward to it. I have mixed emotions, because I would love to homeschool them. I feel as though we've just gotten de-schooled (decompressed) at this point in the summer, and right about now would be a great time to add Prima Latina and some Singapore Math, to ease us into homeschool.

Instead, I've pulled out the Cuisenaire rods, the 1-digit addition/subtraction with C. rods book for Son2, and the multiplication/division with C. rods book for Son1. We keep reading along happily in The Story of the World Vol. 1: Ancient times. The kids and I continue enjoying plenty of play time and reading time. Summer is almost gone, but not quite. School is starting, but not yet.

Limbo, yet in motion. En route.

No comments: