Saturday, July 17, 2004

Whoa! Greek time

Silly me. I picked up The Story of the World and read aloud to the boys during snacktime this afternoon, and they made me keep reading -- more, more, more! After eating all of their food they got out the playdough and made me read on.

We learned a bit about the (return of the) Assyrians & Babylonians, about Crete, and about the Minoans, capped off with the story of the Minotaur. I refused to go on to the early Greeks until tomorrow! Very fun.

I enjoyed acting out the Assyrians' battle tactics against city walls while reading aloud, with one-handed gestures for the basket shields, the earthen ramp against city walls, the assault tower on wheels, etc. Son #1 thought the highlighted Assyrian king, though terrible to those he conquered, was good to his people because he built canals to bring water to his city. I thought that was an interesting assessment.

No comments: