Friday, July 30, 2004

Severus Snape, gotta love him

Moments ago the boys finished watching the widescreen version of "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," acquired from the library today. A bit of background: we've all seen the first two movies on DVD a couple of times; both Son1 and I have read all five books, he multiple times and me once or twice each; and Son1 and I saw the third movie at a movie theater a couple of weeks ago.

For which scene in the first movie did I seriously hush the kiddos today? Professor Snape's dressing down of HP in his first potions class. Love Alan Rickman as Professor Snape. I simply love his character, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with his contempt for students not up to his standards -- I guess it's the closet intellectual snob in me. How terrible is that! Alan Rickman brings Snape to life as far as I'm concerned, though.

4 comments:

Julie D. said...

Alan Rickman brings any role to life, I agree. He was fabulous as Dr. Lazarus in Galaxy Quest and I think he was the one bright spot in Robin Hood ... the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Dy said...

Oh, Barbara! I love your blog! How daft have I been not to realize you've got one? *sigh* It's that attention span/muse issue... the brain... it just... *went* after I began having children. (I don't know where it went, but I'm guessing somewhere w/ a low relative humidity.)

Anyhow, I wanted to give you a nudge to go ahead and read the books, at least yourself, in any order at all. Then I read here that you're a "more than once" reader anyway, and that clinched it for me: reading out of order, then going back and re-reading, really, believe me, it weaves the tapestries of the characters in a slightly different way than your more traditional read-em-in-order-and-only-in-order approach, but not at all in a bad way, I don't think. (Of course, this could be one gigantic justification for my own inability to WAIT until the holds come IN ORDER... Yes, it could be that.) ;-)

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara said...

*blush* Thanks, Dy! I've wanted to blog for a while, and finally did it this month.

With your encouragement I'll return Prince Caspian to the library (Son1 is done and it's due) and boldly pick up The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to read OUT of order. You're messing with my too-orderly mind, Dy :)