Friday, June 22, 2007

Another list: the book stack

From the library, I've got some good reading going.

Material World: A Global Family Portrait, and Women in the Material World
Library: An Unquiet History
The Way of Ignorance and Other Essays, by Wendell Berry

Older kid's fiction:
The Worst of Times (a 12-year-old boy encounters the Great Depression with his family; Son1 loved it and urged me to read it, so I'm halfway through and enjoying it)

Waiting at the library:
The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium
Last Child in the Woods

Also calling to me, here at home:
Getting Involved with God: Rediscovering the Old Testament
Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin

I think I will STOP picking up other books and work on these above -- perhaps returning Library in favor of the rest. I will take a good look at The Year 1000; I may want to put that aside as well. In order to get more reading in, some Internet time needs to go. Woohoo!

Update: I did return Library to the library. The Year 1000 is very enjoyable! I may finish it in three days of easy reading. I read a good bit of Last Child in the Woods last night, too, but it is slower going because the writing is not as engaging. It's for my nonfiction book club, so I will read the whole thing, and speedily if possible so another book club member can get this copy from the library too. This is a case of the book priority being related to how quickly I need to get it back to the library, or read for book club, or both.

No comments: