Monday, October 09, 2006

Very Late Friday Five: Civic Duties

Friday Five: Civic Duties, from RevGalBlogPals.

It's that season of the year when lawn signs are sprouting as surely as flowers in the spring; elections are just around the corner. And so today we bring you a Civic Duty Friday Five.

1) How old were you when you voted for the first time? I think I was 22. Thing is, often that first-Tuesday-in-November Election Day falls on my birthday, and when I was 18 and rarin' to vote for Jimmy Carter I read some get-ready-to-vote language that seemed to make it clear that I would not be eligible to vote that time (Election Day = my 18th birthday). I still wish I'd checked that out, 'cause I suspect I could have voted just fine.

2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot? When I was 18, Carter vs. Reagan, 1980 presidential election. When I was 22, another presidential election, and Reagan stayed in office.

3) Can you walk to your polling place? I could, but I really wouldn't want to; although it's not far as the crow flies, it's about a mile-long walk that includes the shoulder of a busy divided highway, bleagh.

4) Have you ever run for public office? Nope.

5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board? Yes. Various officer positions, from the honors student group in college to my MOMS Club chapter here, and also I picked up enough votes at last winter's annual parish meeting to be a delegate for my church at the annual statewide meeting. It's one way to help things happen. I tend to get involved as an officer/board member of something that really interests me and not a whole lot of others. Niche Woman, that's me!

No comments: