Sunday, March 06, 2005

My spare time and thinking went to this

I started working on sock knitting, yippee!

First, a swatch. I wanted to try knitting socks, but without buying supplies. I knew I had a huge skein of acrylic variegated yarn I'd bought several years ago for doing finger crochet etc with the kids on a road trip. I pulled out US3 steel? straight knitting needles from my grandmother's set, and started on a swatch.

After knitting stockinette for a while and browsing through my library knitting books, I realized (1) I'm knitting in the right gauge and (2) I'm supposed to do a sock swatch in the round. Hokay, time to stop with an itty bitty swatch. I love the colors of this yarn.
Posted by Hello

Fold a little swatch in half lengthwise, roll it up, tie it with the loose ends, and it's a... pincushion! or cushion/roll to hold crochet hooks, etc., I suppose. Not my idea; I read about these on a blog or KnitList or somewhere. It's about 1 1/2 inches high and 1 1/2 inches across. I just realized... I think I can use this for my small stash of eyeshadow brushes and pencils, if I can weight it down somehow. Hmm.
Posted by Hello

Did I bother swatching in the round? Nope, of course I started a sock, and had a blast figuring everything out. I mixed up the rib so the top is seed stitch, LOL; I was knitting inside out so I deduced it needed to be turned inside out; and I've made some mysterious mistakes at two of the joins on one row -- I still don't know what I did there. I found it interesting that by yesterday's basketball game I could knit in the stands and not mix up what I was doing (stockinette). Cool. I'm using four double-pointed needles, and a striped, coated paper clip as a stitch marker.

I've learned a lot already, and I could just frog it apart and start over, but I'm going to rib for a bit and then bind it off and call it a "swatch becoming a to-go-cup warmer." I want to start again with fresh yarn. Supposedly I'm following the Starter Stockinette sock in Knit Socks!, but of course she writes it for five dp needles and I only have four. This is so cool!
Posted by Hello

3 comments:

dazeymae said...

cute little pin cushion.
Hot glue it to something(?) to weight it down. Cork coaster, magnet, one of the children....

Amy said...

Ooo, that's pretty yarn. Good luck with the socks, you are braver than I'll ever be, lol. :)

Anonymous said...

So pretty! One of things (on the list of things I want to do before I die) I'd love to learn how to do is knit!

(Liz @ This Full House)