Thursday, September 16, 2004

Future race car driver?

Son2 (age 4 1/2) has always been VERY interested in the driving of the car. We've noticed this keen interest and drilled into him that he's not allowed to drive a car until he's a very big kid, at least 15, and learns all of the safety rules. I still worry that he'll put together all of his observations and try to drive the car one day. One consequence is that I don't let the kids EVER play in the car. If I'm out, they need to get out. They got in trouble once for messing around in the car in the garage. I just think this kid... well, let's not give him any extra opportunity to consider any possibilities.

Ever since he started to talk, a short 2 1/2 years ago, he has commented on and asked questions about the steering wheel and turning, the mirrors, the speedometer and who's driving fast vs. slow around us, the turn signals and whether other drivers use them, the hazard light button, and, today, the stick shift. He can see what I'm doing fairly well from his rightside-back-seat carseat location. Lately he's also been very interested in the white lines and yellow lines on the road, and whether people are following the rules. He points out when we or other drivers are crossing the yellow line, and I had to explain about intersections. I feel like I need to review the state driver's manual to answer his questions!

Over these many months the thought has occurred to me that he may continue this keen interest the rest of his life. Race car driver? Semi driver? Police officer? Stunt driver? Hmm, I can't think of any mom-won't-worry options!

No comments: