Thursday, May 04, 2006

Feelin' fine

How is it that I can be cheerful while reading Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed, by Jared Diamond (on CD in the car, and the occasional dip into the book itself at home) AND The Long Emergency: Surviving the converging catastrophes of the 21st century, by James Kunstler?

A few weeks ago I could hardly read two pages of The Long Emergency because it was about major, permanent world-changing doom-and-gloom starting RIGHT NOW. I skipped the middle section and got right to his gloomy predictions of life Beyond Oil. Now I'm back to the middle -- I've read the geopolitical assessment, and the alternative energies assessment. Now I'm in the midst of the climate change and other 'converging catastrophes' section... and I'm feeling a lot better for some reason. Even as I'm planning to borrow and read The Two-Mile Time Machine about the North Atlantic oceanic current that seems to start and stop climate changes, and is doing so right now.

It's odd. I'm just saying.

On the other hand, I have a sore throat, am deadly tired, and have a runny nose, sneezes, and sniffles. Zinc and vitamin C should help, but resting is a bit tough as this is a busy MONTH. Hmmm. Yay for the rain, though. Wish I had rain barrels to save it in for the plants.

No comments: