So... I've lost 10 pounds since April 1 and joining SparkPeople.com and tracking what I eat (as well as continuing to walk for fitness). Now that summer weather has started to break a bit, and we're back to school and fall family routines, I Need To Plan Good Meals! Here's what I have so far for the next two weeks or so. (I'm SURE we'll grill out over the Labor Day weekend, too.)
On hand for snacks etc:
- Plums, peaches, apples
- Blueberries, maybe blackberries
- Tomatoes, bell peppers
- Carrots, celery, cabbage, lettuces, green onions
- Dried apricots, prunes
- Raw almonds, raw pecans, roasted peanuts, peanut butter
- Hard-boiled eggs
and of course some breads.
- Burritos. Homemade Mexican rice, refried beans, black beans, diced tomato or homemade salsa, and cheddar in flour tortillas. Serve with a salad, and tomato wedges and carrots with ranch dip.
- Enchiladas. Our rice and bean fillings (above), rolled up in enchilada-sauced-corn tortillas, topped with a bit of cheese and more enchilada sauce, and baked. Will make these with leftover burrito fillings, and freeze. Serve with a salad, and tomato wedges and carrots with ranch dip.
- Shrimp tacos. Cooking Light Aug. 08, p.114. With fruit.
- Big salad. Romaine lettuce, shrimp, tomatoes, shredded carrot, bell pepper strips, and dressings of choice. Hearty bread.
- Spicy shrimp pasta. Broccoli, basil, crushed red pepper; replace oil-packed sun-dried tomato with lots of bell pepper strips (roasted??), and generally triple the veggies. Better Homes and Gardens Sept. 08, p.192.
- Spaghetti and meatballs. With a big salad and Italian green beans.
- Meatball mini subs. With veggies with ranch dip: carrots, celery, bell pepper, tomato wedges.
- German apple pancake. With sausages. Cooking Light Aug. 08, p.154.
- Steamed rice, shredded tuna (canned), green beans and cooked carrot coins.
Side dishes/lunches for me:
- Italian green beans and a few red potatoes. Cooked, then tossed with olive oil, seasoned bread crumbs, freshly grated Parmesan, sea salt, and pepper. Serve warm, cool, or room temp.
- My blackeyed pea salad. Diced bell pepper and onion, balsamic vinaigrette.
- Southwest Confetti Salad. Diced veggies, fresh corn, brown rice, black beans. Cooking Light July 08, p.142.
- White bean and tomato salad. Everyday Food Sept. 08, pl18.
- Avocado, tomato, and cucumber salsa. Cooking Light Aug. 08, p.164.
Breakfasts/lunches to make with the boys:
- My "Busy Mom's Coffeecake", preferably with yogurt or sausages, and fruit.
- Yogurt parfaits. Vanilla yogurt, mixed berries or other fruit, granola.
- Homemade cinnamon rolls/buns. Baker's Catalogue/King Arthur Flour recipe. Preferably with cream cheese or sausages or bacon, and fruit.
- Quick breads. Banana, zucchini, pumpkin? Delicious toasted and topped with a bit of peanut butter, or cranberry preserves (pumpkin). Or with a smear of cream cheese (not for me though).
The baking waits for the elusive nice cool night/early morning... and for my oven to be fixed, which should be tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well.
Some of the dinners and sides I want and need to make over the next 2-3 days. That would be a good kick-start!